Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Catching Up

To get caught up, here is my journey so far:

Sunday, 11/2/08:
I awoke on Sunday to a dark, cloudy sky. Normally, I would consider this a big bummer. I prefer bright, sunny days, and have trouble getting going in the mornings when the sky is dark. However, in Sedona, it's actually cause for excitement because usually, the skies are almost boringly clear with no clouds at all! So, my first thought upon looking out the window was finding the quickest way to take advantage of the cloud cover before it dissipated. I decided to make my first hike Sugarloaf Trail, because I was familiar with it, and knew it would give me a nice view of Coffee Pot Rock and other photogenic rock formations in under an hour.

My next stop was Red Rock Crossing, another place to get a nice photo in a hurry. I met up with a professional photographer and his traveling companion there. Turns out, they have the same first names as my aunt and uncle! They were set up at the spot I normally shoot the Cathedral Rock reflection near the park entrance. Later, we all took the short hike for the other view of the reflection.

I had intended to only stay a short time at Red Rock Crossing. Therefore, I hadn't eaten lunch yet. My new friends graciously offered to share theirs. This unfortunately led to a little misadventure involving a bag of chips, a slip on the rock, and an ice-cold bath in the water! I feel bad because not only did this nice man get drenched, he also lost an expensive pair of sunglasses. I guess no good deed goes unpunished.

The clouds eventually led to thunder, and finally rain. I think that may be the first time I've seen it rain in Sedona.

Monday, 11/3/08:
My one and only hike on Monday was a doozy. On the advise of my sister, who visited Sedona in October, I tried the Broken Arrow Trail. This is a really nice trail, about 1.5 miles each way, that winds around and eventually leads to a spot called Chicken Point where you can see all the way down to the Village of Oak Creek. You can also take a side trail along the way that leads to Submarine Rock. I ended up doing both.

I got to Chicken Point at kind of a bad time for shooting the view. I'll have to work on those photos a little before I'm ready to post them. For now, here is a nice rock formation that was next to Chicken Point.

This hike is really quite moderate as far as elevation goes--only 200 feet. But somehow, it was tiring just the same. Unlike a lot of hikes in Sedona, you're not climbing up continually on the way in, then climbing down on the way out. Instead, you're going up and down both ways. It makes for a nice workout.

Tuesday, 11/4/08:
I got off to a very late start today. It was after noon before I was finally on the trail. I intended to take it easy today, after yesterday's four-hour Broken Arrow hike. I planned to start with the Lower Chimney Rock Loop, an easy-rated trail with little climbing. Then, I was going to do the Thunder Mountain Trail, another easy one. However, as is often the case when I set foot on a trail in Sedona, the day kind of "grew".

First, I accidentally ended up on the Summit Route Trail when I took a wrong turn at the start of Lower Chimney Rock Loop. After looking it up in the book, I decided I was up for this moderate-rated, 372-foot climb up Little Sugarloaf, since I was already halfway through it before I figured out what I had done. This detour was definitely worth it. Another cloud-covered day enhanced the already spectacular views.

After descending Little Sugarloaf, I resumed course on the Lower Chimney Rock Loop. Turns out, these two trails really go well together. The Loop makes an excellent cool-down after the summit, plus you get a nice view of what you just climbed!

After the Loop, I went back to the hotel for lunch then headed out again for another hike. I've planned to do the Coffee Pot Trail the last few times I've been to Sedona, but somehow, never got around to it. I decided to give it a go today. This trail is one of the many "official unoffical" trails here--meaning it's not an official trail, but enough people have hiked it that there is a clear trail and plenty of markers to guide you. The trail leads around Coffee Pot Rock, and up under the spout. It's listed as an easy-rated trail in my hiking book, but there are a few places that, though not physically difficult, are a bit scary in an "it's a long way down" kind of way.

I finished up the day with another climb up Sugarloaf. This wasn't on the original agenda, but the Coffee Pot Trail shares the same trail head, and the sun was setting, shining a nice light on Coffee Pot Rock. It was well worth it, but I had to hurry to get down before it got too dark to see. Maybe next time I won't forget my flashlight!

Here are some more shots from a very busy day. Coffee Pot Rock is a recurring theme here.

Looking up at Coffee Pot Rock from near the end of the trail.


Coffee Pot Rock with a nice cloud cover overhead.


Sunset as seen from the top of Sugarloaf.

1 comment:

Adam said...

Sedona is a four main seasons playground for everyone , whether we are into history and archaeology, arts and culture, power shopping, outdoor sports, or the spiritual and metaphysical, imagine doing all this in a backdrop of some of the most spectacular scenery in the world. This picturesque city is surrounded by red-rock monoliths named Coffeepot, Cathedral and Thunder Mountain. At the north end of the city is the stunning Oak Creek Canyon, a breathtaking chasm that even today, is wildly wonderful.
------------------

Adam

buzz marketing