Saturday, November 8, 2008

My New Toy

I have been trying to get this posted for three days now, but the utterly abysmal internet connection at my hotel has made uploading the accompanying video impossible until now.

After several years of having to manually clean dust from every photo I wanted to use from my trusty Nikon D70, I finally had enough when the shutter release started malfunctioning a few days ago. I went to the local camera store here in Sedona, and after comparing his prices to other "in store" offers, I found him to be very reasonable. So, I bought myself an early Christmas present--a brand new Nikon D90. Aside from having double the megapixels of my D70, it also has a much larger view screen, a cleaning mechanism to (in theory, at least) prevent that pesky dust problem from recurring, and several other nifty features, including a limited ability to create video. Yep, a digital SLR with video! I've never been into shooting video much, but I'm finding that I'm using this feature more than I expected. I think it will especially come in handy for the blog (at least when the internet connection cooperates!). For example, I can now do the occasional "hike with me" segment, like this short clip below. Here you can follow along as I hiked down from a nice lookout on the Chimney Rock trail yesterday. While shooting this segment, I pointed the camera everywhere I looked--at the ground when I was trying to be careful with my footing, and at the view when I stopped to look around. You can even hear my out-of-shape huffing and puffing!



The D90's video capability isn't intended to replace a camcorder, but for short little clips like this one, I think it works fine.

No comments: